7/03/2007

Colored Skinny Jeans Make Everyone Look Fat - So Make Them Yourself

So, Timmy, what did you do this Sunday?
Did you go to church? No.
Did you lifeguard? No.
I Made Colored Skinny Jeans!

So, like the rest of the world, I was going to shell my hard earned cash on these:

[in Raspberry]
or perhaps these, or these :


[all $48.00 at Angry Young and Poor]

Or god forbid, even these hundred and something dollar April77's:
But then I thought...
Gosh, you freak, why spend all that money on something you know you can make yourself.
You'z got skillz , Guh'!
So I Did!
Here's How:
What You'll Need:
  • An old pair of jeans
  • A pair of skinny jeans that you already have, and fit you well
  • sewing machine
  • a marker
  • pins
  • colored dye [and whatever is required to use that dye]

First

Turn your old jeans inside out. Lay them flat and place the skinny jeans on top of them.

Line them up at the pointy butt part.
Also make sure to line the cuffs up at the front of the jeans.
Next
Trace a line on the top leg of the old jeans where the skinny jeans are, all the way up to the top.
Lift up the top leg and trace the same line on the bottom leg all the way up.
Pin along both lines.
Then
Sew along both lines. After you sew, try on the pants to make sure they fit well enough. If they fit well , trim the excess fabric .
[this picture was taken after I dyed them]
Now The Fun Part
Dye the pants according to the directions of the dye you buy. I used RIT dye in "Wine".
If your dye has the option of stove top dyeing, I recommend doing that instead of sink or washing machine dyeing. Also since denim is a very heavy fabric I recommend leaving the jeans in the dye a little longer than the directions say. I left mine in for a little over an hour.
Also, after you're done dyeing and washing the jeans, put them in the dryer twice to seal in the
color.
SHIZZAM!
All it should cost you is a bottle of dye and a Sunday afternoon.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Words of exit: So, a few days ago I Manic Panic 'd my mom's hair. You know what the say... A family that dyes together, stays together!

15 comments:

la petite fashionista said...

wow great diy project! i wish i would have thought of that before i shelled out 25 bucks for a pair of hot pink ones from forever 21!

<3

Anonymous said...

i luuuuuuuv it!

<333 alicia way

Courtly Love said...

I'm jealous! Now I feel stupid for buying red jeans at f21 too. Well better you than me, whenever I sit down to do DIY stuff, I always get bored and end up scrapping the entire project.

Sigh.
This was a boring comment, I apologize.

Anonymous said...

I would make some but I'm afraid they would highlight my thighs of lust in all the wrong places :(

-The Torosaurous

Anonymous said...

I wanted to invite you, for serious, but the poeple at the place where I'm having the party were all 'NO ALL GUESTS HAVE TO BE 21 AND OVER BECAUSE OF THE NON-VIRGIN PINA COLADAS YOU REQUESTED RAY!'

My thighs of lust are tingling, I think the whipped cream wrestling is starting up again! Thanks for the birthday wishes!
-The Torosaurous

Unknown said...

hey great blog, love it!

Courtly Love said...

I have a funny story about Bert actually, I was watching LOTMS night before last because I couldn't fall asleep and then it was the part where Brian was talking about introducing Bert to Gerard and when Bert came on the screen I though, "Oh there's that firecrotch" and I cracked myself up. Not really that funny now that I typed it but it was HILARIOUS when it happened.

I'm sorry your mom feels left out! Maybe I can find a way to fit it in there somehow...

And last but not least, NEVER STOP LEAVING LONG COMMENTS. EVER! OR P3T3 AND B3RT WILL COME TO YOUR HOUSE AT NIGHT AND FORCE YOU TO WATCH THEM HAVE HAWT LESBIAN SEX.

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's a really cool idea. Props to you, my crafty friend!

Anonymous said...

What a great DIY project!

Anonymous said...

Did you use the powder RIT dye or the liquid?! :D

vandroid said...

This is an awesome idea. I would like some clarification: are you creating a new seam at the outside of the jeans, or the inseam? It looks from the pictures like you're resewing the inseam, but the outer seam SEEMS like the natural choice. Whadya say?

Anonymous said...

where can u find dat die in dat color....(want dems but way expensive)

Anonymous said...

where can u find dat die in dat color....(want dems but way expensive)

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea, but I hate spending that much time on something when I can just buy them online! http://www.ultralowjeans.com/?s=colored+skinny+jeans

Unknown said...

I've made my own skinny jeans before, but I never thought to dye them. I may have to try this. Maybe lavender. lol